Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Road to Rhym

A few days ago I posted about how I came to publish Rhym through FOE.  But I didn't go into the journey.  And believe me, it was indeed quite a learning experience!  After getting a look at the massive info dump JP Chapleau asked me to reduce things down to just the bits absolutely needed.  I'm the sort who thinks about church architecture, priestly vestments, tectonic plates, trade routes, erosion patterns, and numerous other details when designing a world.  And in this case, I'd written a lot of that stuff down.

But do you need all that to run a game in Rhym?  Not so much.  You need to know the big stuff, the important stuff, the neat stuff.  So I boiled it down to that.  Then we started adding things back in.  JP suggested things, or made tweaks here and there, and even supplied some content.  But the bulk of the beast is made up of meat from the original document, now well seasoned and laid out with an eye to making it useful for a Dungeon Master.  The net result is something you can go and buy.  And hopefully enjoy.

Rhym:  Under the Rings

I wish I could claim the fabulous cover as my own work, but it isn't!  JP commisioned it from a wonderful artist named Irene Compos  You can see more of her work at DeviantArt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment